There are so many things to learn when you decide to become an indie author.
Deciding which platform to use to print your books
How to use different platforms
How to make or buy the best cover
Learning about marketing
Building an author platform
Best Advice from many experts, for traditional as well as independent authors:
Read the kinds of books you want to write.
Study the bestsellers.
Read books on writing, take webinars, listen to podcasts.
Get your books edited.
Learn how to market.
Read through all the information on the indie platform you choose (Amazon KDP, Ingram, etc.)
Find a good critique group.
Practice, practice, practice.
Consider joining ALLi, the Alliance of Independent Authors.
And if you are successful, give back.
I’ve put together some solid resources that might be helpful for you. Feel free to email me if you know of any I can add to the list. Authors helping and supporting authors. That’s the key.
Author Resource List:
1. The Ultimate List of Self-Publishing resources for Indie Authors:
2. Writer’s Digest articles and courses:
3. Resources for Indie Authors:
4. Books and articles by Jane Friedman:
5. Books and articles by Joanna Penn:
6. Self-publishing cookbooks by Jason Logsdon:
7. ALLi Self-Publishing Conference:
Awards for indie authors:
1. Top 10 Self-Published Book Awards for Independent Authors:
2. Spark Award from Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators(SCBWI):
3. Writer’s Digest Self-Published Book Awards:
4. Next Generation Indie Book Awards: